The Douglas County (CO) Sheriff’s Office, Arapahoe County (CO) Sheriff’s Office, and the City of Aurora (CO) Police Department (the Project Partners) wish to investigate the feasibility of creating and operating a full forensic Regional Forensic Crime Laboratory that would provide timely, expert, and professional examination of evidentiary materials to aid in the investigation, prosecution and/or exclusion of criminal offenses by utilizing sophisticated scientific equipment and proven techniques. Especially important to all Partners is the ability to perform DNA analysis.
The Strategic Business Plan (SBP) developed by Interact Business Group is an important tool that can help key leaders make informed and knowledgeable decisions regarding the safety and well-being of the citizens served by the Project Partners. This SBP evaluates options and recommends the best and most practical course of action for providing a wide range of forensic lab activities deemed critical and necessary for the Project Partners’ communities. At the direction of the Partners, Interact Business Group answered the following questions to meet the expressed objectives of this report:
- What are the current conditions of the Partners’ existing laboratories?
- How will the regional laboratory operate on a daily basis?
- What is the governance structure of the regional laboratory?
- What are the staffing needs of the regional laboratory?
- What are the equipment requirements of the regional laboratory?
- What will it cost to build the regional laboratory?
- What will it cost to annually operate the facility?
- What are the potential benefits and drawbacks of the regional laboratory?
- What funding options are available?
The Regional Forensic Crime Lab is SBP also included a governance structure along with a working agreement framework, cost share methodologies, and financial agreements – all of which will enable the RCL to meet its stated goals.
The Regional Forensic Crime Laboratory is currently under construction with an opening date planned for September 2018.